Thursday, September 22, 2011

So sick of saying, "I'm SO tired!"

So, as many of you know, I have Hypothyroidism...which means my thyroid gland is underactive and makes my metabolism slow. It causes me to sometimes be really out of it, completely fatigued, have painfully dry skin, weak hair, and be unable to concentrate. My regular doctor had always taken care of my thyroid issues and I felt great all through my pregnancy with the different doses of Synthroid I was on, but since Ada Louise was born I have been having a hard time controlling my thyroid. Finally, when we moved here, I decided it was time to see an endocrinologist and get things worked out by someone who specializes in the thyroid. I did a ton of research and found Dr. Passer's office. Everyone there is so fantastic and willing to try anything and everything until you are feeling better. After about 8 vials of blood drawn and just about every test that could be run on them, they found out that the medicine that I had been on for the last almost 7 years was ineffective for my thyroid. Basically, my medicine was useless because it was treating a part of my thyroid that was actually functioning and not treating the part that wasn't. So, I have been feeling dead tired FOREVER for absolutely no reason. I will now be on Cytomel 3 times a day. It sounds like a lot, but I am just willing to try anything that will make me feel human. This medicine will also (hopefully) aide in finally losing the last 15 or so pounds of my pregnancy weight because it will boost my non-existent metabolism. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment