Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dragon Mom

A few days ago I read a riveting New York Times article by Emily Rapp. I, at first, was leery to include it in my blog. I try to keep things positive and optimistic, but this article really resonated with me. It resonated so soundly with me because I can't understand what it would feel like to be in her situation. I don't know how I would be able to deal, on a day-to-day basis, with knowing my child's days were numbered. How would I react to such a situation? I discussed it with my husband and we both felt we would be a mess. We wouldn't know how to function. We would cease to enjoy anything around us. We would fall into a deep well of depression. I am sure, that is how Emily Rapp felt, herself, in the beginning. But, as with all things, we must be there for our children, first and foremost. We don't want them to see us upset. We want to be strong for them. We want them to live life to the fullest, with dignity and respect. I applaud, Emily Rapp for writing this piece. She so truthfully articulated how life ebbs and flows for the parent of a terminally ill child. Every day I am thankful to have a healthy, happy, thriving child. It is the greatest gift. This article really reminded me to live in this moment with her. I cannot be bound by my expectations for her on a daily basis. Will skipping a day of French or Spanish ruin her chances of learning languages? Doubtful. Will watching an episode of "Little Einsteins" rot her brain and turn her into a media-crazed, tv zombie? No, very unlikely. Will simply letting her play, as she wants, with no reason, lesson, or moral behind it, mean that she will fall behind in life and not meet her developmental milestones? Most definitely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment